Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Looking Up

I'm 1000 times better and happier than I was three days ago.

I, like the rest of my group, feel like we've been here for so long, but I woke up in my own bed just 5 days ago...it's really weird. Sure, I'm still lost in this city (Alicante is in fact a decent sized city with expansive public transportation and crowded street corners and barrios. I wasn't sure what to expect before I left.), but somehow I think I'm already getting better at Spanish. And I've had two days of class.

Actually, that's the thing. I haven't learned anything in class really. I already know the present subjunctive and the difference between "ser" and "estar," and this class is pretty much just like my Spanish class at Mizzou (with the exception of a 50 year old Russian named Yuri, who I'm sure I will talk about later). But I've probably spoken more Spanish in the last 3 days than I have in the last 21 years. It's crazy.

We all got cellphones last night at the Movistar (yes, like "moveistar") store. Mine is sweet...a lot cooler than my beat up piece of crap I use at home! I want to take it back to the States with me and use it when I get back, but I'm not sure that's going to work. We all got our phones together, so it should only cost me .05 euros/minute to call anyone in the group. And if you want to call me, it doesn't cost me nada! So hit me up! (011 34) 649 321 361. I'm in the process of trying to get my Skype account to forward all calls to my cell phone. So not only would it be free for me to receive the call, but free for anyone to call me from the computer because Skype's computer to computer calling is free!

Finally, MY BAG IS COMING! In fact, I'm leaving right after finshing this post to go to Armando's house and pick up "mi maleta." I'm very excited to give these clothes that I've been wearing a rest.

4 comments:

  1. Your luggage! Huzzah! I'm so glad that things are finally starting to fall into place for you. That has be a huge relief.

    Miss you. Proud of you. Hope to talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to laugh at "I've probably spoken more Spanish in the last 3 days than I have in the last 21 years. It's crazy." Uh, you're in Spain?

    ;) Hey, I can do the big sister thing with a whole ocean between us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fumble tumble crash bang crack....enjoy it while you can butter fingers. I'll give you a week. My estimate would be shorter, but I imagine your usage will be down. Great to hear all the good news

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you finally got a phone. I loved mi móvil from movistar. People might call you a "pijo" for using it (yuppity person), but it's good stuff. I don't know if your phone will work in the States. Mine sure doesn't. Oh, and about the skype thing? I wouldn't do that. You'll end up paying around 35 cents per minute on your Skype account to forward those calls. It's good for short chats, but overall I'd just get a subscription and let people leave you voicemails.

    ReplyDelete