(First off, I included a ciew of the city from the top of the castle just because I felt obligated to include one photo. Enjoy.)I am about to embark on an awesome 10 days or so, and it's been a busy time leading up to it. You'd think I'd have plenty of free time with four-day weekends, but it's not what you think! Traveling takes lots of planning and time...not that I mind taking time to plan my trip and then go on it, but I'm just sayin...it's not like I'm chillin' on the beach all day every Thursday-Sunday. Although maybe soon...
I've been preparing for my awesome girlfriend to come and stay with me for a week, which is definitely worth it, but requires some thinking and organization. Trains, planes, hostels, money situation, bus passes, class schedule, etc. I'm meeting her in the airport in Madrid at 8am on Saturday morning! But first I have to get there, and the last train leaves Alicante Friday at 4pm, which means I have to take that and stay in a hostel so I can be there in time to pick her up the next morning. It's so worth it though, don't worry! :)
But first, I signed up to go on a trip to Valencia...Thursday at 8am. It's a university-sponsored trip to see "Las Fallas," one of the biggest festivals of the year in Spain that culminates in lighting hundred-foot creations on fire in the streets, followed by fireworks. Shoot, it translates as "The Torches" if that gives you an idea. Here's the deal: each neighborhood in Valencia creates this elaborate contruction of paper, wax, wood, who knows what, and shows them off to the community. On the last night of the festival, which is Thursday night (hence why we are going), they light them all on fire in the streets in front of city hall! Why? I'm not sure. Because it's Spain, I guess. In addition, at 2pm every day of the celebration, there are these massive explosions that go on for 5 or 6 minutes. It's supposed to be incredible...similar to an earthquake, as all the windows in the surrounding buildings rattle. We got an information sheet for the trip and it had tips on what to do if you can't handle the noise/vibrations, like opening your mouth so your brain doesn't explode. Anyway, that's all I know about the celebration, and needless to say, I'm looking forward to it.
Thing is, the bus doesn't leave Valencia until 3:30am that night (the constructions go up in flames around midnight)...which puts us back in Alicante about 6am. My plan is to sleep until 2, wake up for lunch, and head to the train station to catch my 4pm train for Madrid. Should be nuts.
We're spending a weekend in Madrid and then heading back to Alicante to stay with my host family until Friday. I'm happy because my host family is really excited to meet her, even though there will be basically no direct communication between them. I'll be translating the whole week, which will be interesting.
Whew. I'm planning on using the train ride to do some homework and studying, as I currently have no idea what is going on in my Economics class. I'll be taking tons of sweet pictures, so you can be looking for those next time I get around to posting. And you can bet that I'll be watching Mizzou in the NCAA Tournament! Didn't really want to bring my computer to Madrid, but I HAVE to. Mizzou would do the same for me.
The girlfriend will understand. :)
1) Las Fallas is amazing and I'm extremely jealous you're going this year. The explosions are INSANE. I honestly felt like I was being shot for a solid 2 minutes. Also, some of the fallas have styrofoam inside. Mmm...cancerrific.
ReplyDelete2)You might be able to take a bus to Madrid, and then take a taxi to the airport
http://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa/template.PAGE/menuitem.a2b8c42c4264a03c66c766c7421000e5/?javax.portlet.tpst=28b12525bd34c9fec845c845421000e5&javax.portlet.prp_28b12525bd34c9fec845c845421000e5__spageview=/ShowSchedules.do&javax.portlet.prp_28b12525bd34c9fec845c845421000e5__kraview=1&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken
Have fun!