Monday, May 25, 2009

Livin' It Up

Wow, I can't believe there's only two weeks left...14 days from now I'll be eating dinner at home and falling to sleep in my own bed. That is crazy. I'm super excited, and I want to take full advantage of the time I have left here because I know I'll miss it when I'm gone.

Classes ended Wednesday. That means I'll have 2.5 weeks of sucking all the life out of Spain that I can and studying for my final. So far, it's worked pretty well. Put in a couple hours of studying, maybe head to the beach, look over my notes again, and go out for the night. Wake up late and start all over. I'm halfway through my econ notes and I think I'm feeling a little better about the test. I have 10 days of studying left, and I'm hoping to finish outlining in the next three. Then meet with my professor once or twice to clear some things up, practice the problem sets, and read over them continuously. Maybe I can pass.

Also, I have this stupid Psych final to take from my online class. I've been ready to take it for 5 days now, but Mizzou sent the paper final late, so I'm just waiting for it to gt here so I can cross that class off my list. Geh.

In the last week I've had to say some goodbyes. Goodbyes suck. We've vowed to say "hasta luego" instead of "adios." For better or for worse, a lot of my friends here are from Mizzou. That means I'll see all of them in the fall. But some others are from various parts of the country, like Arizona or South Carolina. That sucks. There are already 3 or 4 of them planning on making it to Mizzou in the fall to visit, so I'm excited. I didn't come to Spain to necessarily make friends, but that's how it turned out. It's so hard to come here and fully immerse yourself in Spain and Spanish with minimal American contact. In fact, it's nearly impossible. I'm pleased with my speaking ability, but it's not as good as I thought it would be by now. Some of that has to do with the amount of time I spend with Americans. But no pasa nada, I'm not sure I would have had it any other way. It is what it is, and it's a great experience.

Two buddies from St. Louis and I split the MLB TV monthly internet package, and we caught two Royals-Cardinals games this weekend. They were day games, making them primetime here! Wow, it was nice to sit back, drink beer, and watch some baseball. I can't wait to get home.

My apartment is getting...awful. Here's why: there's no air conditioning, and there's no window screens. One or the other! Dámelo! So you have two options: sweat your ass off every night, or get eaten alive by mosquitoes. I've experimented with both, and I like neither. Most recently, it's been the mosquito experience. I have FOUR bites on just my right foot alone. One on my left, one on my knee, two or three on my shoulders, two on my back, and one on my thumb. My THUMB. My roommate, and all my friends, are mosquito-free. WTF. I'm getting killed. I switched rooms last night, thinking it might help. Nope, I still spent two hours awake battling the sons of bitches. That's become the norm. Sleep a few hours, wake up around 5am with the buzzing in your ear (makes me shudder just thinking about it), swat, clap, swing, and miss at every bug you can while the night turns to day, wear yourself out by 7, and fall asleep til 11. It's not an effective sleeping strategy, in case you were wondering.

I went to buy some sort of ammunition to help me win the fight tonight. The don't sell mosquito nets (or window screens) here. I settled for Raid electric killer. That baby is already plugged in and I'm never unplugging it. Still not exactly sure how it works (or convinced that it will), but I hope to God those little bastards get zapped tonight. Otherwise, it'll be a long two weeks.

That's all for now. On to either studying or the beach...can't decide. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment