Saturday, March 14, 2009

Another Weekend, Another Daytrip

The great thing about four-day weekends? Well, okay, there are quite a few great things about it...but one of them is the ability to travel. Especially with day trips, you still have three more days of weekend to enjoy! It's awesome.

This week it was Murcia. It's a short hour-and-fifteen minute train trip to the south from Alicante and apparently an often-overlooked destination in Spain. The only reason I really went was because of a friend who had studied there last year, but I'm really glad I did. The city is kind of similar to Alicante...it's got the big city feel with some old cathedrals and stuff but some small shops and open plazas too. I would say there's no real main tourist destination, kind of like Alicante (save the beach), but it's almost better that way. My friend Abby and I just hopped off the train with some ideas in mind and walked toward the city center to see what we could find.

The cathedral was built in something ridiculous like mid-1400's. Before North America had been discovered. Other than that, the plazas were wide open, the people were nice, and the weather was awesome.

An hour south makes a huge difference temperature-wise! Seriously, I considered bringing a jacket because it was chilly that morning in Alicante, but I was wishing I had shorts in Murcia that afternoon. It was 75 degrees and I got some color on my arms and face! And it's only March!

And oh yeah, the "river" running through the city was gross! As you can see behind me in the picture, there is some sort of vegetation growing where the water should be. Apparently they have some sort of serious water problem, and that was clearly evident.

That's about it for now. Shout out to Dave T back home for hooking me up with a website that streams LIVE sporting events for FREE. atdhe.net. Check it out. It's the reason I am able to stay up until 5am watching my Tigers rip through the Big 12 Tournament. It could be dangerous for me next week during the NCAAs. Might turn nocturnal. Actually, on second thought, that would make me a lot more like a Spaniard.

MIZ!

3 comments: