Friday, May 29, 2009

"El Precio del Poder"


So my roommate Fabian and I watched Scarface (or "El Precio del Poder," as they call it here, which is stupid because that means "The Price of Power," not "Scarface") last night. In English. My mind was tired and I just wanted to enjoy a movie instead of struggle thorough it. I had somehow never seen it, so it was awesome, but I thought it was a little odd, especially watching it from Spain, that they spoke to each other in English. Yeah, it's an American movie, but they're all Cubans! I liked the fact that I could understand the Spanish phrases they threw in there every once in awhile, but I found myself wishing it was in Spanish. Would've been much more realistic, even though I'm pretty sure Al Pacino and Michelle Pfieffer don't speak Spanish. Instead of the F-bomb 207 times, I suppose it would've been "Joder!" (I've learned quite a few insults in Spanish that I'll proceed to teach my brother when I get home.)

Anyway, I think I'll watch it again sometime soon in Spanish; it's just that I hate it when they dub over the voices. It's so stupid. Every American movie here, shown on TV or in the theaters, is dubbed. We don't do that! Granted, 90% of movies are made in the U.S. (I made that figure up), but when a foreign film is made, we throw subtitles at the bottom.

My friend Jesús asked me the other day what I'm going to miss most about Spain, and I was almost embarrassed because, well, I couldn't think of anything other than my friends. I've decided now though that I'll miss the language. I'll miss the opportunity to speak in a different language with ayone and everyone. Even with my American friends, we'll throw in a question in Spanish or switch to it for a few minutes, then go back. It's nice, it's relaxing, it's fun. I find myself IMing friends and family back home and typing "que pasa" or "no pasa nada" or "entonces" or "me voy," then I realize that they don't understand what I'm saying and erase it and start over in English.

Por eso, I'm going to find a way to continue speaking in Spanish, at least once a week. Alicante reunions at Mizzou or something, form a group, whatever. I like speaking it and learning new words and screwing up and correcting myself. So now I have my answer: Spanish is what I'll miss most.

10 days!

4 comments:

  1. You made that figure up? I'm not sure why, but that is so you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just excited to hear the insults.
    And hey I want to start actually trying to speak spanish more!...maybe you can talk to me like you would a 4 year old and I'll TRY to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're still having fun. Are you back yet? By the way, tío, puedes habler el castellano conmigo cuando quieras. Whoa...how's that for alliteration in Spanish?

    ReplyDelete